TrueBlueNation.com - The Official Orlando Magic Fan Community!: If you were Rob Hennigan, how would you rebuild? - TrueBlueNation.com - The Official Orlando Magic Fan Community!

• (4 Pages) +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

If you were Rob Hennigan, how would you rebuild?

User is offline   The Magic Word 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
Obviously using those 13 draft picks over the next 5 years is going to happen. Where would you spend your money while using those draft picks? Would you save for the huge FA class in 2015? Instead, would you pick up a player this summer to build around and then save money to bring in someone else the following summer? Just curious what the die-hard fans have to say on the mater. Discuss.
Writer at The Magic Word blog
Follow on Twitter @AMagicBlog

User is online   KandiKane 

• PipPipPipPip

View PostThe Magic Word, on 22 January 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

Obviously using those 13 draft picks over the next 5 years is going to happen. Where would you spend your money while using those draft picks? Would you save for the huge FA class in 2015? Instead, would you pick up a player this summer to build around and then save money to bring in someone else the following summer? Just curious what the die-hard fans have to say on the mater. Discuss.

Rebuild through draft ala Thunder. Save the $$ for short term or resigning of drafted players. Keep to the plan with players that lack that of ego, selfishness... etc

User is offline   For the love of the game 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

View PostThe Magic Word, on 22 January 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

I do not think it is obvious they are going to use those 13 draft picks over the next 5 years. If I were Rob, I would use some of those picks (i did not know they even had that many) to obtain some more young players in the short turn to develope and to get better picks by packaging picks and players. Idealy one of those players will turn into a star or at least show signs of a star, but if not make a big signing after next year. Doing the opposite what the previous GM did with salaries is key as well

User is offline   DanA_TBDP 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Rebuild through free agency. Use Florida tax incentives, new stadium to draw a big name or two. We tried draft with Shaq, tried it with Dwight. Done watching us be a farm team. Unless we absolutely suck and get as lucky as the Sonics/Thunder did 3 years in a row, the draft doesn't work.

Name the last NBA MVP who is still on the team that drafted him? Or even defensive player of the year? How about finals MVP?

I mean, honestly, we thought Dwight was going to be the "different one" and he turned out to be an even bigger a-hole than LeBron. I don't trust NBA stars anymore. Honestly wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Durant sign HWNSNBU then move to LA or somewhere else.
Posted Image

User is offline   Pootie Tang 

• PipPip

View PostDanA_TBDP, on 23 January 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Name the last NBA MVP who is still on the team that drafted him? Or even defensive player of the year? How about finals MVP?

MVP--Derrick Rose 2 years ago? Kobe Bryant. Dirk Nowitzki. Tim Duncan.

Finals MVP- The last 7 before Lebron James.

User is offline   Captain Hi-Top 

• The Scott
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationDe Land

View PostPootie Tang, on 23 January 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

lol
New to the forum? Wondering how to post pictures, use special tags etc? Check our our FAQ thread!
Forum FAQ

User is offline   NittanyBuc 

• Goooood... Goooood...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationOrlando

View PostPootie Tang, on 23 January 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

In before DanA replies "Kobe was drafted by Charlotte and Dirk was drafted by Milwaukee".
Posted Image

User is offline   Captain Hi-Top 

• The Scott
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationDe Land

View PostNittanyBuc, on 23 January 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

In before DanA replies "Kobe was drafted by Charlotte and Dirk was drafted by Milwaukee".

I think we've established here in the community that if a team has made arrangements to make a pick on behalf of another team as part of a draft day trade, they were, for all intents and purposes, drafted the the team to which they were traded. (on the off chance he goes that route)
New to the forum? Wondering how to post pictures, use special tags etc? Check our our FAQ thread!
Forum FAQ

User is offline   NittanyBuc 

• Goooood... Goooood...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationOrlando

View PostCaptain Hi-Top, on 23 January 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

I think we've established here in the community that if a team has made arrangements to make a pick on behalf of another team as part of a draft day trade, they were, for all intents and purposes, drafted the the team to which they were traded. (on the off chance he goes that route)

And I agree with that notion.
Posted Image

User is offline   Emory889 

• Hella Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationLooking forward to watching the Magic tank next season.

View PostNittanyBuc, on 23 January 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

And I agree with that notion.

but Dana is going to need a loophole because she just obtained a new level of wrong.
Posted Image

Quote from Davcicic: "I love the Magic so much that I would take them to the back of the school and get them Pregnant!!!!"

Quote from O-dub: "Our final relevant emoticon has been waived."

User is offline   Emory889 

• Hella Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationLooking forward to watching the Magic tank next season.
Furthermore, this notion that most team can't compete for a championship by rebuilding through the draft is historically wrong.....and that extends well past the Spurs and Thunder.
Posted Image

Quote from Davcicic: "I love the Magic so much that I would take them to the back of the school and get them Pregnant!!!!"

Quote from O-dub: "Our final relevant emoticon has been waived."

User is offline   DanA_TBDP 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
The NBA has completely changed. Yes, I was wrong about the finals MVP thing but I think the point still stands that in today's NBA, it's better to sign/trade your way to a title than draft. Yes, the Thunder are the exception, but they haven't gotten that ring yet.

The Heat signed their way to one. Chandler, Kidd, Marion, Stevenson, the Mavs brought in others. The Celtics brought in KG and Allen. The Lakers brought in Gasol and Odom.

Yes, it'd be nice (and usually optimal) to get an anchor through the draft (McLemore, Wiggins, Parker for example) but I'm not all about stock piling picks. Look at the Cavs. They have Kyrie and a bunch of mediocre draft picks around him. Their future isn't all that bright unless they sign someone else.

The NBA isn't what it once was. You can't say a superstar will be like Dirk and stay around waiting for a ring.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages) +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users