TrueBlueNation.com - The Official Orlando Magic Fan Community!: Did anyone notice who Memphis just hired? - TrueBlueNation.com - The Official Orlando Magic Fan Community!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Did anyone notice who Memphis just hired? John Hollinger just hired as VP of Basketball Ops

User is offline   Tactical Tomato 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBronx, NY
per Yahoo!:

...the Memphis Grizzlies have hired ESPN.com's John Hollinger, the creator of Player Efficiency Rating (PER) and the most famous stats-minded basketball writer in the world, as their new Vice President of Basketball Operations.

http://yhoo.it/SXW5kM

I think it's pretty cool how advanced statistics are really challenging how we look at the game and how players are impacting it, whether it be positive or negative. I find it pretty crazy how Hollinger's name hasn't come up more often in these nba exec hirings. I don't always agree with the guy but he seems to support most of his arguments with facts that most sports writers completely ignore when they write their garbage. What do you guys think about the hiring?

User is offline   Captain Hi-Top 

• The Scott
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationDe Land
Good for him, and for Memphis. I've always liked his work, and his approach, and it will be great to see him putting he can translate his work into a real world application.
New to the forum? Wondering how to post pictures, use special tags etc? Check our our FAQ thread!
Forum FAQ

User is online   Soul Bro 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
Good for him. So much of ESPN's substance comes from him, so it will be interesting to see if they can replace him.
Posted Image

User is offline   barnettej 

• Orlando Magic's US Marine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

View PostSoul Bro, on 13 December 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Good for him. So much of ESPN's substance comes from him, so it will be interesting to see if they can replace him.

That I dont think is possible... Had some quality stuff.
"A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the equality of his actions and the integrity of his intent." Douglas MacArthur

User is offline   30Assists 

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationSeattle, WA

View PostSoul Bro, on 13 December 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Probably not. It's going to be all LA/NYC, all the time.
Posted Image

User is offline   NittanyBuc 

• Goooood... Goooood...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationOrlando
I guess the GM for Memphis just watched the movie Moneyball and really liked it.
Posted Image

User is offline   Ibn Battuta 

• The traveling scholar
  • PipPipPipPip

View PostNittanyBuc, on 14 December 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

I guess the GM for Memphis just watched the movie Moneyball and really liked it.

It does seem like a very strange hire.
Posted Image

User is offline   TheREALBrooksThompson 

• PipPipPip

View PostIbn Battuta, on 14 December 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

It does seem like a very strange hire.

I get why you would say that, but it really shouldn't seem strange.

In any other industry, if you have people who have made significant contributions toward removing flaws in how that industry is understood, they're generally highly regarded. Only in sports is that seen as a bad thing.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users