TrueBlueNation.com - The Official Orlando Magic Fan Community!: Ryan Anderson - TrueBlueNation.com - The Official Orlando Magic Fan Community!

• (4 Pages) +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ryan Anderson Did We Make a Mistake By Not Re-Signing Him?

Poll: Ryan Anderson (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Did We Make a Mistake By Not Re-Signing Ryan Anderson?

1. Yes, he's worth 9 million a year for the following reasons... (4 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

2. No, he's not worth 9 million a year for the following reasons... (21 votes [84.00%])

Percentage of vote: 84.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Soul Bro 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators
In his first year with New Orleans, Ryan Anderson is averaging 18.3 points and 8 rebounds shooting 48% from the field and 43.5% from three-land. As a 24 year-old, his PER is 21.87, which is currently 18th best in the league. During the summer, he signed a 4-year deal worth between 34-36 million (http://espn.go.com/n...gic-sources-say) and was sent to NO in a sign-and-trade. Should the Magic have kept Ryan for that money? Why or why not?
Posted Image

• View gallery
My answer...

This past summer I didn't want to re-sign Ryno for that kind of money. Having seen him get torched by teams like Atlanta, and knowing we would be losing Dwight, I thought the cost was too high.

Now I believe I was wrong. Ryno is proving to be one of the most potent offensive weapons in the entire league ... even without a dominant center. I believe every team in the league would want him as a third option. Even now, the Lakers want him (http://espn.go.com/l...iries-pau-gasol).

In other words, I think we let a large asset walk without getting enough in return (Ayon). Moreover, I believe he'd be interesting on our current Magic squad as the starting PF. I trust Henny but think we may have let a good, if not great, one get away.

What say you?
Posted Image

User is offline   Ryan the Magic Fan 

• No capes, no tights, no offense.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAs far away from myself as I can be.
It does hurt seeing him gone but I also just dont see him as a long term option. It just seems his ceiling is about 18 points and solid rebounding stretch 4. Granted that's good, but we were trying to get away from that stretch 4 mentality here in Orlando.

Of course, then I see Glen put up another 5 horrible fade away's and I think we traded the wrong guy...
Posted Image
~Sig, Another Addi masterpiece.

User is offline   Janders 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Though I loved Ryno while he was here, I think we made the right choice in not resigning him. We already have an overflow of big men, and I feel with him and Glen Davis on the team Nicholson wouldnt be getting nearly as many minutes as he does. This season is about player development and it's hard to develop rookies when theyre not playing much. Also without Ryan's contract, (correct me if i'm wrong) I believe we have more cap flexibility going into the future.

Also, a team of JJ Redick, Ryan Anderson, and Josh McRoberts is just way too handsome. I just figured we got Gustavo to balance his ugly with the amount of handsome we have now. It just wouldnt be fair to the rest of the league otherwise.
Posted Image

User is offline   Penny Hardaway's Ghost 

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationOrlando, FL
hell to the naw. Good luck to him though, I like the guy and all.
Posted Image

User is offline   Bauncey Chillups 

• PipPipPipPip
If you ever feel bad about letting him go just take a look at his playoff stats

User is offline   Ibn Battuta 

• The traveling scholar
  • PipPipPipPip
he doesn't fit with anything we are doing. He would eat salary and more importantly take PT away from our young talent.

I guess you could say we didn't get enough in return for him, but then again he is under no obligation to help the magic. Something is still better than nothing.
Posted Image

User is offline   Mauro Pedrosa 

• Rebuilt
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationPortugal
Nope. Good decision by whoever let him go
Posted Image

Formerly known as VCplusD12 - Creator of Amway Center's #1 Gamethread
3,792 posts
Joined in July 21 2009

• View gallery
Obviously, we couldn't have kept and played Ryno AND Baby while also playing the young pups (e.g. Vuc, AN, and KO). I guess I'm wondering whether we should have traded Baby instead of Ryno?

But, yes, Ryno was unbelievably bad in the playoffs ... while Baby rocked it last year. Good point.

I guess in the end I believe we could have gotten more than Ayon ... say a first rounder.
Posted Image

User is offline   Drain-O 

• What Would You Say You Do Here?
  • PipPipPipPip
If we could have moved Baby I am sure they would have. He is terrible. Ryno is not worth 9 million a year. 6 maybe. Not 9. So I think giving that New Orleans is 5-12 and looks completely lost without AD the Magic made the right choice. Also Ayon sucks but it is what it is.
Posted Image

• View gallery

View PostDrain-O, on 06 December 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

If we could have moved Baby I am sure they would have. He is terrible. Ryno is not worth 9 million a year. 6 maybe. Not 9. So I think giving that New Orleans is 5-12 and looks completely lost without AD the Magic made the right choice. Also Ayon sucks but it is what it is.

I believe Baby will be traded this year to a contender. He's an above average 3rd big, imho.
Posted Image

User is offline   Drain-O 

• What Would You Say You Do Here?
  • PipPipPipPip
I hope so.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages) +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic