TrueBlueNation.com - The Official Orlando Magic Fan Community!: Tanking The Season - TrueBlueNation.com - The Official Orlando Magic Fan Community!

• (2 Pages) +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tanking The Season Lose games on purpose

Poll: Get a Bad Record for High Lotto Pick Chance? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the Orlando Magic should lose games as a strategy to get a high draft lotto pick?

1. Yes, Magic should lose. (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. No, Magic should continue to win because I think they can make the playoffs. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. No, Magic should continue to win for some other reason, but I do not think they can make the playoffs. (10 votes [90.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   OB3LISK 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbies
So what's the deal with you Magic fans. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but there's no way for Orlando to get a playoff seed. New York (1), Miami (2), Nets (3), Boston (4), Chicago (5), 76ers (6), Pacers (7), Hawks (8), Cleveland (9), Bucks (10) are all in your way, so there's no chance. (That list isn't in ranking order, don't start grilling me that Knicks suck or Bucks should be higher or something.)

If you can't get a playoff seed, you should lose games on purpose to get a high lottery pick chance. At least that's my logic.

You aren't bad enough to be the worst team, though, if you keep playing at this rate you'll probably be like, only the 6th or 7th worst in the league. That's why you would have to make a conscientious effort to get a lower record.

User is offline   Ibn Battuta 

• The traveling scholar
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
Perhaps you should email your glorious plan to the magic front office.
Posted Image

User is offline   NittanyBuc 

• Goooood... Goooood...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationOrlando
"Losing games on purpose" is illegal. There's ways to circumvent the legalities, as with anything else, but deliberately losing and acknowledging that fact is illegal. You have to at least attempt to remain competitive.

Otherwise, don't you think teams would have already done this? Seriously, did you think this was such a great idea that only a mind like yours could compose?

My God this is getting bad.
Posted Image

User is offline   30Assists 

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationSeattle, WA
Well, I personally think we should sit Jameer for at least a huge part of the season. Not to deliberately tank, but because the guy hasn't fully rehabbed. This is a throwaway season, so why not get 'Meer fully healthy?
Posted Image

• The traveling scholar
  • PipPipPipPip

View PostNittanyBuc, on 19 November 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

"Losing games on purpose" is illegal. There's ways to circumvent the legalities, as with anything else, but deliberately losing and acknowledging that fact is illegal. You have to at least attempt to remain competitive.

Otherwise, don't you think teams would have already done this? Seriously, did you think this was such a great idea that only a mind like yours could compose?

My God this is getting bad.

forget about the illegal aspect; if you are JV what kind of message are you giving your players if you tell them to pack it in? what kind of culture does that breed? Furthermore, no player will ever want to come here once they learn about this tank-first culture.

I wish this idea of "tanking" would go to hell, along with anyone who proposes it.
Posted Image

User is offline   NittanyBuc 

• Goooood... Goooood...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationOrlando

View PostIbn Battuta, on 19 November 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

forget about the illegal aspect; if you are JV what kind of message are you giving your players if you tell them to pack it in? what kind of culture does that breed? Furthermore, no player will ever want to come here once they learn about this tank-first culture.

I wish this idea of "tanking" would go to hell, along with anyone who proposes it.

Well yeah, that's a given. Totally agree.
Posted Image

• The traveling scholar
  • PipPipPipPip

View PostNittanyBuc, on 19 November 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

Well yeah, that's a given. Totally agree.

Unfortunately it's not a given as evidenced by the OP (and others before him) continually bringing it up.

I want this team to play the best basketball it can.
Posted Image

User is offline   CTMagicUK 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
I'm a firm believer in the idea that draft position doesn't give you the best talent. Sure, it helps if a Lebron or a Durant lands in your lap but that doesn't happen very often so there is little point shooting for a low pick through lack of effort. We could just as easily pick 8 or 9 and draft an allstar caliber player as if we were picking 2 or 3. Rob seems to know what he's doing and I'd be surprised if we don't pick up some good young pieces in the draft going forward, regardless of draft position. Losing for the sake of losing is demoralizing for players and not financially viable considering nobody wants to pay to watch a team give no effort.

• Pip
Woah woah no one wants to be illegal. Of course we play sensibly and aim to win where we can, it's just a matter of not overstressing the team to put points up, as mentioned in the case of Jameer Nelson. I mean, look at the team and how many people are injured. If you know the team isn't going to make the playoffs then there's no reason to push so hard for victory every night, and the draft pick is just a bonus incentive.

I do agree that the draft pick number does not necessarily guarantee your pick will be good, and you can pick quality from a lower pick no matter what, but having a higher position never hurts.

"Demoralizing the players," yes it's true that not winning feels horrible, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the greater good. Still, that argument holds true that your players will lose spirit, I can't deny that.

User is offline   nCoolness 

• Derpty Derp
  • PipPipPip

View PostOB3LISK, on 19 November 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

Woah woah no one wants to be illegal. Of course we play sensibly and aim to win where we can, it's just a matter of not overstressing the team to put points up, as mentioned in the case of Jameer Nelson. I mean, look at the team and how many people are injured. If you know the team isn't going to make the playoffs then there's no reason to push so hard for victory every night, and the draft pick is just a bonus incentive.

I do agree that the draft pick number does not necessarily guarantee your pick will be good, and you can pick quality from a lower pick no matter what, but having a higher position never hurts.

"Demoralizing the players," yes it's true that not winning feels horrible, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the greater good. Still, that argument holds true that your players will lose spirit, I can't deny that.

Just to warn you, be wise about what discussions are good or not. One newb got chewed up because of his idiocy.
Posted Image

• Pip
I'm just a fan who wants to see Magic win, don't treat me too badly guys.

User is offline   nCoolness 

• Derpty Derp
  • PipPipPip

View PostOB3LISK, on 19 November 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

I'm just a fan who wants to see Magic win, don't treat me too badly guys.

well welcome to the club, you wanna apple pie with that?

(lol jk)
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages) +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users