TrueBlueNation.com - The Official Orlando Magic Fan Community!: Which former Magic players would you take back? - TrueBlueNation.com - The Official Orlando Magic Fan Community!

• (4 Pages) +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which former Magic players would you take back? Offseason edition

User is offline   Ryan the Magic Fan 

• No capes, no tights, no offense.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAs far away from myself as I can be.
Bringing back the thread for a more in-depth offseason look since we are all discussing ways to better the team.

So here is what we got. We all have many Magic player's that we have seen leave over the years, and many of them are currently still playing in the NBA, with several of them being big contributors on there teams. Some of them are obvious players we would take back in a heartbeat, while others are much more debatable, and in some ways, hot button topics. I will stick with major "All-Star" players for the first post and then switch to the more prominent role and bench player guys with the second. I wish the poll system allowed for more then just 3 questions, as I would like to pose all of the players there but what can you do.

So the rules are this: This is not a debate on who the Magic can get. Some of these guys are just simply not attainable now to Orlando. The question is would you take them back at their current skill set on this current Orlando Magic team. Make sure you give reasons as to why with each player.

The first and most obvious would be:

Posted Image
SF- Grant Hill

MI know this will draw the ire of my fellow Magic fans but my stance has not changed and I right now would happily take Grant Hill back on the team. One thing the Magic sorely lack currently is perimeter defense, and Grant has transformed himself into one of the better perimeter defenders in the league. He has been healthy for two seasons now, and if you go check youtube, you can tell he still has explosion in those legs of his. He still is a big time character player and loves Orlando despite the animosity the fans have for him. The only thing that gives me pause is wondering if the second he leaves Pheonix and whatever crazy bacta tank they use to keep old guys like him and Nash going, he will start breaking down again.

Posted Image
SG- Tracy McGrady

Yeah. No. I don't think there is anything T-Mac can do short of turning back into Mr 30 pts a night again to make me consider bringing him back. Me-Mac burned a few too many bridges here in Orlando and I consider it the sweetest of Ironies that he left Orlando to not be a one man team anymore and play alongside a quality big man in Yao and compete for a championship. Well in Houston he was a one man team and Orlando got the best big man in the game the year he left and became a championship contender. Karma Me-Mac. Karma.

Posted Image
SG- Vince Carter

I actually didn't want to see him leave and felt that the swap with him and Richardson was a bad idea. Now after the playoffs I think it has only been proven correct. Carter may have never blown us away but he was normally very consistent in his games for us, especially at the start of this season up until the trade. Richardson was as off and on as one player could be. With his contract now ending and his want to end his career here in Orlando, I would love to see the Magic possibly bring VC back with one of the exceptions if he is amenable to it.

Posted Image
PF- Rashard Lewis

The only thing that makes me not say yes is his contract. If he gets bought out somewhere down the line and is cool with taking an MLE to join the Magic again I will happily take him back. I think that defensively we have taken a step back without Rashard in the lineup (who may be less physical, but is a much more aware player then either Bass or Anderson) and that he still remains the only way the 4 out 1 in strategy works. I still feel that the trade for him and Arenas was a massive lapse in judgement by Otis, and that they should have at least seen if he and Hedo could regain their previous chemistry before unloading him. That and he was one of my favorite players ever to wear the blue and white.

Posted Image
SG- Mike Miller

My yes wouldn't be as fast as it was when I first wrote this thread, but it still would be a yes, especially with his performance in the ECF against the Bulls. An absolute marksman from 3, a solid playmaker, and contributes wither a starter or bench player. I felt that him being traded away is one of the top 5 worse mistakes by the Magic organization, and it led to the eventual departure of his best friend Tracy McGrady. Bring back the former Rookie of the Year!!! (Yes I know it's not happening now that Miami has him).

Posted Image
C- Ben Wallace

Although we could use a backup big man right now, Wallace defensive skills have diminished so much he really can't provide much as compared to the other centers on these lists. I guess I would be amenable if he was all that was out there, and I would certainly take him over say Malik Allen, but that's about it.

Posted Image
SG- Corey Maggette

This guy takes a lot of thought actually. I love him as a player and what he has done in his career, but his skills offensively have certainly diminished. He definitely still has some explosion though and I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do to help on the defensive end, or what he could do as a gun off the bench like we are trying with Arenas. I guess if he wasn't looking for a big contract I would say yes though.

(This last one I only put in because of rumors that he wants to try and return to the NBA)

Posted Image
PG- Steve Francis

Again with a big no. This guys career is so over it's not even funny. He was good for his first half season, then went downhill and hard after his buddy Mobley was traded. Count that in with refusing to enter a game late and I'm happy to say I've seen the last of Francis not only in a Magic uni, but in the NBA in general.
Posted Image
~Sig, Another Addi masterpiece.

• PipPipPipPip
And now for the primary role and bench players. I'm gonna keep it short, only 10 players and also keep it to guys we let go in the last 5 years who had a big spot in the Magic rotation.

Posted Image
C- Marcin Gortat

I would say more then just yes but I don't wanna get banned for the many profanities I would put in front of that affirmative statement. So I will content myself with that. The Magic desperately miss his role as a backup big man to Dwight, and he is flourishing in Pheonix as he has just taken over as the starter. I'm glad for him but I really miss the Polish hammer in an Orlando jersey.

Posted Image
C- Darko Milicic

I still laugh at the contract the Wolves gave him but what can you do. Although it won't be anywhere near as strong as my yes for Gortat, I would take Darko back for pretty much the same reasons as Marcin. A nice backup big who can block shots is something the Magic need right now, and Darko could provide that. Any one still have your Serbian Swatters?

Posted Image
SF- Trevor Ariza

I was not a big fan of Ariza when he was here but I could only say yes now. As said with Grant Hill, the Magic could use a defensive wing of his caliber badly. Add in his improved 3 point shooting and he could really fit well in here again. However the money he is asking for is insane for what he does. If he were willing to back off that, then heck yes I would take him back.

Posted Image
SF- Mickael Pietrus

I know I will get flack for this one and bad but I could not be happier that Pietrus is gone. Even though we need a defensive wing, his shoot first, shoot again, think about it, then shoot one more time attitude just drove me insane. I have never seen a player who takes more stupid shots and does more boneheaded plays on this team ever. Sure it worked in the ECF of '09 but that is his one shining moment. He was the one player we sent off I was happy to see leave, and he can stay that way.

Posted Image
SG- Courtney Lee

Although I wasn't his biggest fan when he was here, and I did not join in the love fest that was last season on the forum, yeah I would take him back. He is a good young energetic player who could really help out on D. I'd take Lee back in an instant as a combo guard.

Posted Image
PG- Carlos Arroyo

Who am I kidding. Heck yes I would take him back!!! Just from a pure chaos standpoint alone. Bring back the rabid Arroyo fans. The start him over Jameer threads. Sure it will drive us all insane but I miss that chaos. And let's be honest... He would be better then Duhon and Arenas right now as a back up.

Posted Image
PG- Jason Williams

Despite our need for a backup PG right now, yeah no. Screw that. He was horrible in last years playoffs, which I can forgive, but I can't forgive walking out on the team in the middle of the season. As a Gator fan you disappoint me J-Will. Good riddance.

Posted Image
SF- Matt Barnes

Another player I would not think twice about bringing back. Loved his attitude, his fire, his unwillingness to give up on any play, and pretty much everything about how he approached the game. The Magic miss his toughness and energy, and even though he was horrible from 3 point line, he made up for it in every other way. Matt Barnes Will Kill You.

Posted Image
PG- Rafer Alston

This one I had to think about for a little bit. I loved what he did here in the playoffs in taking over for the Meerkat, and he did help the Magic to the finals, but his subsequent time after leaving us make me think the guy is a headcase and a half. I will always respect what he did in that small amount of time, but I think the Magic are better off, so lets keep him gone.

Posted Image
PG- Keyon Dooling

This guy I would love to have back. He could fill a big whole in the Magic's backup point spot while also providing valuable minutes if any of the shooting guards go down. His defense at the PG spot is top notch, good energy, not a bad stroke from 3, and still with solid athleticism.
Posted Image

User is offline   COLOMBIANO 

• Member Advanced
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationMi casa
Of all those players G. Hill is the one player I'd take back. He's having an amazing season at his age and could be a solid back up if he was willing to play the 6th man.

User is offline   Miller4Prez66 

• PipPipPipPip
Gortat and Hill are the only ones I'd consider bringing back. Maybe Ariza if he promised to cut down on his shots.
Posted Image

User is offline   BMP 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
Hill, Gortat, and Darko. . . for short spurts
Posted Image

User is offline   ninjapj 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Gortat, Hill, Rafer..
Posted Image

User is offline   ThisIsTheYear 

• I know where Arsenio Hall is
  • PipPipPipPip
Gortat and Lee.
Posted Image

User is offline   petey 

• PipPip
  • LocationUCF
Clee, Gortat and Ariza

• PipPipPipPip
Added Maggette and Wallace to the first list as they both turned into All-Star caliber players after playing a full season with the Magic.

Added Rafer Alston, Keyon Dooling, and Matt Barnes to the second list and took out Deshawn Stevenson as he was the farthest away time wise of all the bench players since the '05 season.
Posted Image

User is offline   ~O~ 

• Spirited
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • LocationTallahassee
Gortat, Dooling, Ariza, Darko.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

User is offline   Manu Ginobili 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Lee, Gortat, Ariza and Grant Hill (puking).
Who cares what a journalist might say?

User is offline   Miller4Prez66 

• PipPipPipPip
I totally forgot C-Lee, even though I think fans overrate him I'd welcome him back with open arms. I'd also take Darko back as Dwight's backup.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages) +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users